Keep anything that can burn at least three feet away from heating sources such as the furnace, fireplace, wood stove, or portable heater.
Have a three foot “Kid Free Zone” (this includes pets) around open fires and space heaters.
Never use you oven to heat your home.
Have a qualified professional install stationary space heating equipment, water heaters, central heating equipment, or wood burning stoves according to local codes and manufacturer’s instructions.
All fuel burning heating equipment should be vented to the outside to avoid carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.
Have your heating equipment and chimneys cleaned and inspected every year by a qualified professional.
Remember to turn off portable heaters when leaving the room or going to bed.
Always use the right kind of fuel, specified by the manufacturer, for fuel burning space heaters.
Make sure the fireplace has a sturdy screen to stop sparks from flying into the room. Ashes should be cool before putting them in a metal container. Keep the container a safe distance away from your home.
Test smoke alarms monthly.
Install and maintain CO alarms to avoid the risk of CO poisoning. If you SMELL gas in the area of your gas heater, do not attempt light the appliance. Leave the home immediately and call your gas company or fire department.
We do not recommend using kerosene heaters. If you must use them, refill them outside.